Friday 6 March 2015

Evaluation on Unit 36

Task 1A - historical and contemporary photographers
   This task, as any other research task have really helped me with understanding of this project. After my research about contemporary and historical glass photographers, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do already and it was important that I did, because I had to really think forward while working with film cameras, as processing the negatives and developing the images take a long time.

Task 1B - ideas for my theme
   This task, has also really helped me to understand my theme, as I was able to research different kinds of themes and pick one or in my case two which I really liked. I have decided to do reflections in the mirror, because I thought this would be quite challenging as it's hard to take a nice shot with a reflection of someone, because you have to be really careful and I have also decided to do still life of different kinds of glass objects using different kinds of lights (lamps, flash, natural) etc. 

Research Task - 10 digital images
   Research task, where we had to take our first glass photos was also really helpful as I could see that what I wanted to do, which was the reflections in the mirror, wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I have also done a lot more of different glass photos to see what I liked the best, and if the theme that I have picked is good for me. For this task we were also asked not to edit the photos in any way, and after this task I have decided to not edit any of my digital photos in this project even if there's a small detail to edit. This has really helped me to take my film photos, as I was more confident with framing the photo and looking at all of the small details within the frame of the photo.

Task 2 - reflection digital images
   For this task, I have decided to do reflection in different thing of my self, while taking out door photos. I thought it would be quite an interesting idea, as we were asked to take photos of reflections. It worked quite well, because I got few nice distortions and also the weather was nice, so I got nice and live colours in the reflection. For the second part, where we were asked to take reflection photos in an indoor location, I have decided to do few different kinds of photos. I did some on the light box, and also using the natural light.

Task 2A - creative glass photography
   This task we were asked to photograph light bulbs in digital. It was helpful task, as we were asked to use a light bulb and be creative, it was quite hard, but I have managed to be as creative with them as possible.

Task 2B - continuation of creative glass photography
   The continuation of light bulb photos, was a lot more interesting as we were asked to photograph them with an interesting background. It was interesting task, as I was able to also use the light metering and measure the light of the background as well as the subject that I was photographing, which was the light bulb. By photographing the light bulb I have created some distortions of the background, which I have found really interesting. For the second part of this task, we were asked to photograph our chosen object at home. I have decided to take them photos in black and white, and I'm really happy about them.

Task 2 Continuation - breaking the rules
   This task at first, seemed to be really easy, but when it came to doing the photos I found it really hard. I think it's hard to unfocused your camera or use distortion to make a good and interesting photo. It was very challenging, but I have tried as many different kinds of techniques as I could.

Task 3 - black and white film glass images
   I really liked our third task in this project because we had an opportunity after really long time to use film cameras again. I was able to practise once again how to use the camera (including putting the film in the camera and taking it out). I had to do this photo shoot twice, as for the first time I didn't roll the film back in properly and opened my camera, which meant some of my photos would not come out. I also liked going into the darkroom again, it was a good reminder for me of how to develop the photos and I also really enjoyed concentrating on developing the photos on my own. 

Research Task - photographic processing laboratories
   This was very useful task. I was able to research any other places where I can print my photos from. I was also able to see the difference in prices as well as the time it takes to develop the photos or negatives. With all of the informations that I have gathered I was able to plan the time of when I can take the photos to one of the photo processing laboratories so that they are done on time and I don't have to worry about not getting them on time and not having any photo to give in on the day of our deadline.

Colour film glass images
   I also did some colour film, but unfortunately didn't have time to go to the colour darkroom and I had to print them out in ProAm.

Extra research - reflection in the mirror
   I have also done some extra research about reflection in the mirror, as this was my idea for this project. It was very helpful as I got some ideas and tips on how to capture the reflection in mirror.

Overall, I have really enjoyed this project. I am really happy that we were able to use film cameras again, as well as the darkroom. We had a lot of photo shoot to do, during this project, which gave me a lot of practise with film as well as my digital camera. What I also really liked about this project is that I was able to be very creative, because of the theme of the project, and I am happy with what I have presented. 

No comments:

Post a Comment