Thursday 4 June 2015

Photographers Research

Portraiture

Historical photographers:

  • Irving Penn
Irving Penn is one of the best known photographer for his amazing portraiture. They are neat and simple but very effective. Irving always had great models for any kind of photo shoots that he did, whether it was fashion or portraitures. Which in my opinion makes his photographs look really good, because having a good model is a lot easier to work with, and then you can exactly create what you want to gain. Irving in his photographs show that portraiture don't have to be boring, and they can be very creative. In most of his photos the models hold one of their hands near their faces in a creative as well as effective way, which makes the portraitures look a little bit more interesting, and then don't seem boring.







  • Cecil Beaton
Cecil Beaton is also one of my favourite portrait photographer.I like her unique style and the final outcome of all the images. She really inspires me of the way she poses the models, even though these are only portraits they're all very interesting because of the composition, and the poses. She catches the moment perfectly of when to take a photo, and this is something that I will try to do during this project, as the outcome of the photos can be very interesting and we can see this by looking at Cecil's photos. They're all black and white photos, but the contrast of these photos is perfect and they don't look dull or boring.







  • Herb Ritts
I have found Herb Ritts, as a historical photographer. I have found this photographer very interesting because of his amazing composition. These photos, gave me a lot of inspiration for the composition that I would like to use. I really like the fact that he doesn't pose the model straight towards the camera, but to the side, or even if he does then he only takes a shot of half of the models head etc. I think even thought his photos are black and white, they really stand out from the rest portraitures, because of the amazing composition. You can really tell from looking  at Herb's photos that he knows how to work with models, and we can really see this though the face expressions of the models, they seem to be really relaxed around the photographers.








Contemporary photographers:

  • Lee Jeffries
Lee Jeffries, one of my favourite portraiture photographer that I have found. Lee is a contemporary portrait photographer, who usually captures old people faces. His photos have a lot of emotions, they all show sadness, happiness, anger etc. Most of his photos are also black and white, which gives us even more emotions. They are all very detailed and I think this is the main key to why they are my favourite. We can clearly see all of the nice and not so nice details on peoples faces. His composition is also interesting, as I thought portraits should include all of the persons head, but he decided to cut a little bit of the top off the frame. If I will have the opportunity I will try to develop inspiration that I got from Lee, and try to get all of the details on people faces, hopefully I will be able to do it with my 50mm lens.





  • Joel Santos
I like Joel's photos because we can see a lot of different kinds of emotions. As in my opinion portrait is all about the emotions or creativity. He's photos are dark and deep, and by looking at them the viewer don't want to take their eyes of it because of all the details in the photo. All of his photos hide a story behind the picture. They are all really eye-catching and interesting. This is something that I would really like to try and do, show all kind of emotions, from happiness to sadness. 












  • Manny Librodo
Manny Librodo's portraiture photography really caught my eye. The photos are very colourful as well as they are really good quality. Manny usually takes portraitures of women from different cultures. They all look amazing and it's a really good idea to represent different cultures through portraitures. They all look amazing, I really like how the photographer uses all of the objects that cover models faces etc. I also like the photo at the bottom, where he has used men's hands with tattoos around the women's face, which I think look really amazing. Most of the photos have been done out in location, but some of them from studio have an amazing lighting.








Fashion

Historical photographers:

  • Ellen von Unwerth
I have picked Ellen as my first fashion historical photographer. Her work has really inspired me in term of cropping the images in an unexpected but very effective way. I really like how she sometimes cuts of half of models head because I think it look interesting. Another thing that I like is the models in her photos as well as their amazing and eye-catching poses. The location in her photos aren't that interesting but it doesn't matter as the main subject is the model and you can really see that in her photos. 










  • Helmut Newton
Another fashion historical photographer that I have found is Helmut Newton. I think this photographer would be really good also for the inspiration of poses of the model in my work. Except the poses I also like the lighting that the photographer uses, creating nice shadows, it looks very interesting. The photographer uses interesting props, big and small ones but always use them effectively in photos.














  • Louise Dahl-Wolfe
Louise gave me very interesting inspiration that I would like to use in my photos. He uses a lot of see through materials, even if it's a dress or some extra materials that floats around in the air in the photo. I really like this idea, and would like to use it in different ways in my photos. I find his fashion photos very interesting. The style in his photos is something that I would like to do, really old fashioned (vintage) look as well as the compositions, make up and the hair styles of the models. I like the locations that Louise has used for his fashion shoots, I find it a little bit weird how the background is also in focus as well as the model, because usually we can see a nice depth of field in fashion shoots, but I think this looks also good and I would like to use it in my photos, because I usually like to have a nice depth of field, which unfortunately sometimes makes my models parts of body unfocused.






Contemporary photographers:

  • Mario Testino
Mario Testino, a very famous contemporary fashion photographer, who really inspires me because of his creativity and amazing poses. He captures all of the small details in the background, which makes his photos looks a lot more interesting. He travels all around the world working with the best models. He has done a lot of work for Vogue and many other interesting and well known campaigns , and it all looks amazing. The composition as well as the quality of his photos is excellent. He thinks about all of the small details in the background of the photo. He has many interesting ideas, for his photographs. I have picked my six favourite photos from his gallery, which have inspired me for my studio photo shoots.






  • Marcin Tyszka
Marcin Tyszka has been one of my favourite fashion photographer for a while now. I was always inspired by his work in all possible ways. He's been taking photos with a lot of famous models all over the world. He's style is very recognisable. He's photography is very commercial as he usually takes pictures for different magazines inc. Vogue etc. Therefore he's models always have nice make up and neat hair styles, along with nice and glamour dresses or other nice outfits. He does a great job in presenting the outfits well for an advertisement. 








  • Patrick Demarchelier
This is my last photographer that I have found. I really like Patrick's photos. I would like to do something similar to his style. I really like the top photo on a mood board and it's something that I would like to try and experiment with, with the photos from one of the studio photo shoot. 














Landscape

Historical photographers:

  • Robert Adams
I like Robert Adam's photography for the open space in his photos, I also like the fact that all of his photo are black and white, as it gives more interesting yet simpler look. Black and white effect also gives the photographs more emotion as well as tone, as it seems cold and quiet. The best thing in his photographs is the open space, as the photos are not messy, and they look very neat. They are also all nicely composed and straight. another thing that really also caught my eye in Robert's landscape photos is the sky. I like the clouds, as well as different shades of the sky on all of the photos. 










Contemporary photographers:

  • Philip Hyde
This is an inspirational mood board with beautiful landscape photos of Philip Hyde.

















  • Joe Cornish
Joe Cornish, and his landscape photography show that he spends a lot of time do take a perfect shot, which means he has to spend hours in one place, waiting for the perfect moment to take the shot. He uses a lot of interesting techniques in his photos, such as leading lines, which makes the audience of the photo, follow the picture all around, by this they can look at all the details of the photo, not just the main subject. This is very important as he spends a lot of time taking the special shot.










Architectural

Historical photographers:

  • Balthazar Kobar
This is my next mood board with architectural photos of a historical photographer Balthazar Kobar. 


















  • Jaromir Funke
Jaromir Funke, is a great historical architectural photographer. In his photos we can see amazing composition to show different parts of architecture or whole buildings in his photographs. His compositions which aren't straight make the photos look creative, and eye catching, as sometimes we wonder what's in the photo, and it makes the audience want to look at the photo to find out more about it. He also uses a lot of sunshine coming through the big windows. I have only picked one, on my mood board, but I have picked the best one to represent this technique.











Contemporary photographers:

  • Helene Binet
This is a mood board of Helene, who is a contemporary architecual photographer.

















  • Randy Scott Slavin
This is my second mood board for a contemporary photographer of interesting architectural photos. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment