Thursday 18 December 2014

Task 1C - research editorial pieces

An editorial piece in an opinion piece written by editorial staff of a newspaper or a magazine. Editorial piece should consider introduction, body text and conclusion, also including photographs. Examples of editorial pieces in magazines and newspapers based on films or film stars:

This is an editorial from an issue of Photoplay from 1921, recommending that readers should not see the film Heedless Moths, as it features nude scenes. As we can see this editorial piece is not very interesting, as it doesn't have any photos to help us to see what the film is about, but an editor have used interesting fonts as well as big letter to make it a little bit more interesting, eye catching as well as outstanding. Also the font makes it look a little bit more interesting. I like this because even though it's a very old editorial piece is not black and white. The editor has also put a border around the written piece, which is always useful and I'm sure I will use it in my editorial piece. The layout of the writing is also very simple. It's not one of the best editorials but because it's from 1921 I think it's good.  

These are the two articles that I have found online from a magazine called Empire. I really like this magazine because it gives us a lot of film reviews, as well as movie news and celebrity interviews. Most of the editorial pieces in this magazine are very similar. All of them consider interesting layouts, photos and simple text, which all together look really good. 

The first editorial piece from Empire magazine is a review about film Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part One from 2010. The first thing that really caught my eye is a part of the top photo which has been cut out to put a text on it. I think it look really interesting. Plus, there's another small photo at the bottom of the director. I think this is very interesting as we never see people behind the camera. The main photo at the top shows us the main character of the film, which is Harry Potter. It's a photo cut out of one of the movie scenes which makes us interested even more to what the film is going to be about and it makes us want to read the article.The layout of the text is simple but works really good. It is divided into three columns, used the same size and font for the body text and small introduction, only the colours are different to separate them two. The title of the film is in a lot more bigger size than the rest of the text which is really eye-catching. Overall I like this article but I think there might be some things that can be improved. For example, there could be more smaller photos from the film. Another thing that in my opinion could be improved is the title of the film, which even though is nice and big sized it could be bold to make it stand out even more. The alignment of the text could be also set to the middle not to the left to make it look neat. Overall I like this article. 

In this article we can see a review of Twilight - New Moon. This article is a lot more interesting for me than the Harry Potter editorial piece. First of all I really like the only photo at the top, which is also a photo from one of the movie scenes. There are also a lot of borders in this editorial piece as well as thick lines which separate paragraphs from each other. I think this looks really effective as it helps us to read and it also makes it a little bit more interesting. There is a lot of text in this article. The first writing piece that caught my eye, is the three small paragraphs in the box which have been placed on the photo, I really don't like this as I don't think it looks nice because it looks messy, but this is just my opinion. The title of the film is in big, bold letter and even that it still doesn't stand out as much as the writing at the top of the page 'in cinemas', but it might be because it's on a bright, red background. Subheading is a little bit smaller than the heading and I also think it looks nice. The body text is all in the same size, but some important sentences at the beginning have been made bold. Another thing that caught my eye, is the big, red, bold text at the bottom left of the article, which really stands out as well. Overall the colours match well together. I think that editor of this editorial piece have used red on purpose for this film, as red colour represents love but also blood, and as we know Twilight is all about vampires and blood, so the colour that the editor have used matches very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment