Thursday 2 October 2014

Experimenting with Bokeh technique

I have tried to experiment with the Bokeh technique that I was going to use in one of my photo shoots, but unfortunately it didn't work out very well and I decided not to use it. Bokeh is aesthetic quality of blur produced in the out of focus parts of an image produced by a lens. To try this technique I have been using 50mm lens. 


Settings for the first photo 1/250 sec, f 2.2, ISO 100. Settings for the second photo o.5 sec, f 16, ISO 100. We can really see the difference between these two photos because of the aperture difference between the two photos as well. I also think that the second photo didn't work out properly because it wasn't out of focus as much as in the first photo.


But, because I wanted to try this technique in my photo shoot I had to experiment with this technique with my model in the photos. These are my results: 



Settings for these photos are: 1st - 1/15 sec, f 5, ISO 160. 2nd - 1/160 sec, f 1.4, ISO 200. 3rd - 1/30 sec, f 1.4, ISO 200. I wanted to experiment with these photos and because few pictures that I took before this ones were pitch black, because I wasn't sure what setting to use I have decided to place a laptop in front of my models face which was a really bad idea because it gave us really awful blue light on her face which I didn't want. But one the second picture we can see that I was staring to getting the nice technique in the background. Where as on the third photo my timing was a little bit to long, and I think that's why I came up with photo like this. Another thing is, that in my opinion the lights were a little bit too bright, because when I was trying to increase the shutter speed to make sure I can see my model, the lights were really bright and I was not able to see the technique that I wanted to create. But if I decreased the shutter speed and the light were fine, and I was also able to see the technique of bokeh, then my model was too dark and you could hardly see her face. Therefore I have decided to not use this technique in my first photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment