Tuesday 7 October 2014

Evaluation of Unit 29

At the very start of this project I have decided that I want to explore the theme which is 'Mannequin', to make sure that I understand it well. This research was short and easy to do but at the same time it was very helpful because I understood what the theme exactly is and I was ready to start my project. I have gained a lot of inspiration on contemporary as well as historical photographers through the research that I have done. Contemporary photographers including Nick Knight, Marcin Tyszka and Suzanes Heints and some historical photographers including Peter Knapp, Bruce Webber and Steve Heintz. I have also done research of location, and what types of location are good for fashion photography and why. From this research I have gained a lot of inspiration as well as first few ideas of what kind of photo shoot I would like to do in this project based on fashion.

In this project I have done few photo shoots which really helped me to get ideas and also really helped me with my photography skills. I have completed 7 photo shoots in this project. The first one that I did was diptych of subject related to fashion and location which would either contrast with the subject or harmonize with it. This really helped me to think about how I need to think also about my location during my photo shoots, and that I should not only concentrate on the main subject which is really important, but also the background and all the small details. After this I did another diptychs but this time it was mannequin and model, which had to be in the same position and location. This helped me to understand how I need to think about the settings and the lightning while working with small objects and people, which was very useful for the next small photo shoot that I did which was still life photography of jewellery in different location, outdoor as well as indoor. In this photo shoot, i had to think about the settings in the camera as well as depth of field etc. These three tasks were really helpful and I was ready to start my first photo shoot, and then my final photo shoot which was divided into three photo shoots. 

I have found the planning before photo shoot really helpful, I didn't really use a plan in my previous photo shoots, but from now on I am definitely going to plan each of my photo shoot before. It was really helpful because I could plan all the equipment that i will need or any other props and I could also plan the time scale of each photo shoot., which was useful for me as well as the model. Another important thing that I did was the risk assessments and model release forms for each of the photo shoots that I did. 

A lot of my ideas have changed throughout the project. Each task helped me to gain some more and creative ideas about my final photo shoot. After my first photo shoot, where I've dressed my sister up as a doll, I didn't like the photos, mainly because of the location. So I have decided to completely change my idea because I could think of a different location for a doll than a bedroom. I have also done a little bit of an extra research about mannequins as well as bokeh technique which I have found very interesting an I really wanted to experiment a little bit with it. 

If I was to do this again I would try to keep up with all the photo shoot and task to make sure I don't leave my final photo shoots to the very last minute.

My first part of final photo shoot went well. I have dressed my model up, the weather was nice, she was really nice to work with, therefore the photo shoot went really well and I am happy with my final photos from this shoot. The second part of final photo shoot went well as well, but I had to change my location because of the bad weather, so I had to do my photo shoot indoor rather than outdoor, but I have kept my idea of photo shoot as I planned. My third part of final photo didn't work out because of the short amount of time i had, I should have planned them a lot earlier, but I am happy with my other two final photo shoots. 

Overall this project was really interesting. I have learnt few new techniques as well as became more confident with working with models. 

No comments:

Post a Comment